Saturday, September 13, 2008

Did you know Fall is an actual season?

So Fall actually exists in other (non-California) places, shocker huh? I so love Fall but really have never experienced it in its full. September has arrived and brought with it some rain, cooler weather and changing leaves! something else has arrives with it ... preparation for winter! One of our neighbors told us there are really two seasons up here... winter and preparing for winter! So, to try to "do as the locals" (oh wait, we are the locals now .... eeeek!) we are preparing for winter!
Parker hunting for our winter meat! (just kidding although he probably could bag us some good meat! I can't believe how good a shot he has!)
Choppin' wood!
My first time canning (I feel so domestic).... We picked about 60lbs of peaches (oh, they were so good) and canned a good amount of them. We also made jam (peach, blueberry, rassberry & blackberry, all picked from a local farm), fruit leather, cobbler and froze some puree (Tess is in heaven) Sydney had so much fun. My mom had canned a lot when I was little but hadn't canned for many years so it was a good learning curve but we had a great time ... well up untill the last of the jars.... at that point we just wanted to get it done!
So, next we winterize the house and shop ..... sounds like a lot of work but it really just adds to the adventure ... Chris might have a different thought on that!
I feel so blessed to be able to live the life that I have always wanted. I love spending my day in my home, doing things that are basic and simple but so fullfilling. I pray that I always look at this life as a blessing, even when we are up to our eyeballs in snow!

3 comments:

Frates Baby Farm said...

Oh so much fun!!! I bet that Sydney had a blast helping you. You guys are too cute.

iammygirlsmom said...

That's a LOT of peaches! How fun!

I hear you on winter! I've already changed our closets over to the fall and winter clothes, our wood is chopped and piled behind the garage, coats are out, boots and mittens have been located.... it's a lot of fun! To me, there are only a few greater things than sitting inside around a wood fire on a snowy evening!

I'm guessing your kids will LOVE the snow!!

Christy said...

I cant wait for the winter pictures. How fun fo you all to be living out your dream. Your kids arel ucky to have you home. :)